Book Guide to Modern Manners
How to navigate the dilemmas of social life.
Modern life is full of minor but acute dilemmas: wishing to end a boring conversation without causing offence; forgetting a name when introducing friends; running into an ex on a first date with a new partner…
Though they might seem insignificant, such dilemmas illustrate some of the greatest themes in social existence; how to pursue our own happiness while honouring the sensitivities of others; how to convey goodwill with sincerity; and how to be kind without being supine or sentimental.
This book puts good manners back at the centre of our lives. Through twenty case studies, Modern Manners provides a new philosophy of graceful conduct. Far from trivial diversions, manners are the practical expression of a dignified mission to create a kinder and more considerate world.
• How to Be Comfortable On Your Own In Public
• How to Make People Feel Good About Themselves
• How to Become Someone People Will Confide In
• How to Deal With The Subtext
• How to Stop Worrying Whether or Not They Like You